//go.ad2upapp.com/afu.php?id=698829

FOOD.

What is it?

According to the Merriam’s Webster dictionary, food can be defined as:

A Material consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, and fat used in the body of an organism to sustain growth, repair, and vital processes and to furnish energy; also:  such food together with supplementary substances (as minerals, vitamins, and condiments)”

As you can tell by the definition, food is a source of fuel for the body. However, most people see it as the source of their problems and as such tend to shy away from it by skipping meals daily, going on diets that never last or just cutting out stuff that is good for your body in the long run. I am here today to encourage you to embrace food in all its glory, both the “good” and the “bad”. **DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A NUTRITIONIST** I just am beginning to understand the way food works best for the body and how to keep a healthy lifestyle.

In other to have a healthier nutrition plan, we must first substitute the “bad foods” for the “good foods”, thus leading us to make healthier choices. A healthy nutritious meal should have a balance of the primary food groups in one serving e.g protein, carbohydrate, veggies etc.

  • An example of a healthier PROTEIN choice would be swapping red meats for leaner meats g: steak for turkey

Chicken drumstick for chicken breast (skin-less)

  • For CARBS, it will be

e.g: white rice for brown rice/ couscous

White bread for whole wheat or sweet potato

These are just a few examples on how to substitute the “bad foods” for the “good foods”.  With all this listed, we can start to have an idea on how best to formulate a “balanced diet” which is essentially what a meal prep consists of, as well as portion control.2015-08-28 16.51.38

HOW BEST TO MEAL PREP

When it comes to a fitness regimen, 70% of the work is exerted towards maintaining and controlling what we eat and the other 30% are reserved for the workouts. So, if you are on a fitness journey, you have to overall decide what it is you are trying to achieve and what meal plan would best help you achieve results faster. For me, I am focusing on weight loss and muscle definition, so my meals would consist of lean proteins, more vegetables and minimal carbs. In this edition of my meal prep, I will be featuring my:

  1. BREAKFAST : Mushroomed egg whites, Asparagus and  ½ an avocado
  2. LUNCH: Sweet potato fries (baked) , grilled chicken breast and mixed veggies
  3. DINNER: Grilled Tilapia and asparagus2015-08-28 16.51.58

2015-08-28 16.50.53This way I have my, “healthy substitutes” e.g. fish (Tilapia) instead of red meat and egg whites instead of the added egg yolk; cooked for five days at a stretch. Cutting out carbs entirely for my dinner is quite challenging because I have MAD midnight cravings, but what I do to curb it is to eat some fruits like strawberries for example or  have a piece of peanut butter whole wheat toast, drink lots of water and head back to bed (hey! I’m human).

I know what you’re thinking; can’t this meal plan get boring? Well, yes it can, but I don’t eat the same thing every day… an interesting way to switch it up would be to incorporate salads, fruits and whole grain cereals into the mix so your body isn’t used to one thing. I also have cheat days, the days where I eat whatever I want to eat and enjoy every last sinful bite *exhales deeply*, but my cheat days are in line with days I know I have serious cardio training so that I know I will burn off what I ate; then the days that are considered my “rest days” (from working out) I make sure I stick to the meal plan. You always want to keep your body and your mind guessing.

One thing to remember is that you are human, you are going to mess up a few times before getting it right or maybe you won’t… but either way its ok, you just have to get up and keep on going and never ever quit no matter how many times you fall, because what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I hope this helps, Good luck!

F.Y.I: Don’t take my word for it, do your own research, find out more on your own, google the heck out of everything (lol!). If you want a detailed recipe on how to prepare the recipes stated above, or if you have any suggestions or advice please leave a comment in the comment section. Thank you and God bless! 🙂

1 Comment on FOOD: Meal Prep… Let’s Change The Way We View Food!

  1. Nicole
    December 23, 2015 at 3:32 pm (2 years ago)

    I love this! Im currently transitioning to healthier eating and havent had red meat for 1 month, ive been taking fish instead. Enjoy your journey!
    http://nyashanicole.blogspot.my

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *