One can agree that there is a thin line between narcissism and self love, some even say they are one and the same. In a world full of selfies and social media, are narcissism and self-love really one and the same?
Narcissism: an excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one’s physical appearance.
Self-Love: regard for one’s own well-being and happiness (chiefly considered as a desirable rather than narcissistic characteristic).
Both definitions are derived from the Merriam Webster dictionary, and although both definitions dance to the same tune; there is a clear distinction between both.
A narcissist by all accounts is someone who is self-obsessed, only looks out for numero uno and centers the entire universe around them and they’re needs,not paying attention to others and they’re feelings or needs. Psychologists all over the world have diagnosed Narcissism as a personality disorder with the following symptoms:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes (www.psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder-symptoms/)
In my humble opinion,this is not the way to live.
While self-love, I feel is:
- being kind to ones self,
- performing self soothing acts for ones self
- Taking the time to enjoy your own company
- not being afraid to be alone because you know that you are more than enough
- being content mentally, emotionally, spiritually
So its basically taking the time to know ones self, in and out.That in turn builds confidence, assertiveness and determination… Determination to succeed because you know your capabilities, your strengths and weaknesses. Self-Love is like the S.W.O.T analysis of ones self(lol). It brings about more of a liberated feeling, a liberated feeling from within.
Self love by Rita Lyod (http://www.nurturingart.com/blog/?p=601)
Whichever category you fall into, please remember you are human and there is no perfect being out there, there is only a chance for redemption and change… the question is will you take it?
I would love to know your thoughts on this subject. Please feel free to leave your thoughts down below.
If you are interested… here is a link to a personality test, nothing too serious, just something for fun! http://psychcentral.com/personality-test/start.php